Thursday, September 22, 2011

The God Complex

Since I've forgotten this the last few weeks, I might as well remind readers that this contains spoilers, yadda yadda yadda.



Look at you. Glorious Pond. The girl who waited for me. I'm not a hero. I really am just a mad man in a box. And it’s time we saw each other as we really are. Amy Williams, it’s time to stop waiting.
--The God Complex

While I was expecting this episode to be frightening, I wasn't expecting it to be sad. Last week's episode was bad enough, but...poor Doctor, poor, poor Doctor.How can you have the universe in your backyard and still be pitable? Because in the end,his only certianty is being alone. I mean, he left Amy and Rory because he realizes that this is his only way to end it without death. I don't cry at TV shows easily, but my eyes were seriously twitching when he was talking to Amy in her room. The camera work was just beautiful, allowing us to see that in his eyes, she's still the little girl he abandoned for fourteen years, Amelia Pond who shared fish fingers and custard. And he had to break her trust, the only thing that kept her alive and (reasonably) sane, because it could kill them all....

Offtopic: I want an Amelia Pond action figure. Not Amy, Amelia. And an Eleventh Doctor one too.

2 comments:

  1. They have those. Well, not sure about Amelia, but they have several different kinds of Eleven. I just settled for his sonic, though.

    The end of the episode made me go, "No, no, NO" over and over (which is why I changed my FFN profile picture). The Doctor has basically committed suicide by swearing off companions (again). And not only that... how has faith in the Doctor suddenly become a bad thing?? He always asks for trust... And in my opinion, what he broke Amy off wasn't faith, it was hero worship. You can't lump the way she saw the Doctor in with the other companions, who knew the Doctor fails and supported him afterward. (As opposed to Amy's constant, "What is the point of you?" the moment he went back on her trust.)
    -Lostariel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I'm sure it's not permanent. But if it was, yes, it would be suicide. Has he so quickly forgotten Bowie Base 1?
    As for Amy's 'what is the point?' She had just lost Rory to senior citizens with alien eyes coming from their mouths--I don't think she was thinking clearly at the time. But she does get over herself. I mean, what she tells the others--he'll rescue us, he always does--she just has some issues.

    ReplyDelete