Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Swimming Pool in the Library: Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS


Now that's just showing off!
I've been looking forward to this episode since the title was announced. Even in the classic series, the only episode to really explore the TARDIS interior was Invasion of Time--other episodes have given quick glimpses of certain rooms, such as the wardrobe or secondary control room, but it's far past time for a proper look inside our dear friend. And the episode delivered!
Never mind the plot for a while, let's see what we found....swimming pool, observatory, the Eye of Harmony (much better done than the TV movie), a room full of memories--who here screamed COT! when they saw it?--and this fantastic, huge library with Gallifreyan encyclopedias in bottles and a book on the Time War. Why the latter is in English is a slight mystery--I've heard theories that River wrote it, which is kind of interesting, given her role as a professor, but I also like the theory that Nine wrote it as a confession of sorts after the War, in which case the English would be because he couldn't bear Gallifreyan at the the time...anyway, PRETTY TARDIS IS PRETTY!
As for the plot, my biggest issue with it was the implication that the Doctor would threaten to destroy the TARDIS for Clara's sake. I buy the Doctor being protective, especially with someone he's already lost twice, but blowing up the TARDIS for her? Not so much. So I was very pleased when he announced it was all a bluff, since it didn't make that much sense to me. As for the rest of it, it was pretty cool, and I liked his discussion with Clara about her other? selves--presumably that will come up again later.
Overall, I really liked it--8  or 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment