Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Thrice-Told Tales: The London Underground

“I mean, maybe I am crazy. I mean, maybe. But if this is all there is, then I don't want to be sane. ” 
--Richard Mayhew

For the last three posts in this series, I will be focusing on stories with multiple adaptations and interpretations, but that still have a definite author.  First of all, I'd like to introduce you to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, an urban fantasy set in London. When Richard Mayhew helps an injured girl, he ends up in a strange world that mimics his own.  There's still Earl's Court and Blackfriars and a voice shouting 'Mind the Gap,' but there's an Earl in Earl's Court, the Blackfriars hold a key, and the Gap's a lot larger than expected...

This story began as a six-part BBC drama, but is best known as the novel written afterwards.  It was also adapted into a comic (don't bother) and an excellent Radio 4 drama that will be out in early September featuring Benedict Cumberbatch,   James MacAvoy, Christopher Lee, and Bernard Cribbins, among others.

Because the author was involved with all three productions, there is not much difference between them, though I would recommend the radio production first, if only to hear Benedict Cumberbatch's singing voice.  The book is excellent as well, though the TV show looks rather dated. But hey, try them all if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment