Saturday, September 22, 2012

Power of Three--SPOILERS


This post is NOT spoiler-free. Go watch Power of Three, THEN come back and comment on my flood of feels.
The Doctor: One day—soon maybe—you'll stop. I've known for awhile.
Amy: Then why do you keep coming back for us?
The Doctor: Because you were the first. The first face this face saw. And you were seared onto my hearts, Amelia Pond. You always will be. I'm running to you, and Rory, before you fade from me. 
First of all, a confession. I haven't enjoyed this season as much as season six. The first episode was wonderful; brilliant acting, terrifying monsters, emotional intensity, and that infuriating twist at the end. Though I enjoyed Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and A Town Called Mercy, I didn't feel emotionally engaged in the outcome.  This episode reversed all that. The Doctor had some wonderfully vulnerable lines, balanced with good-natured humor.
And we got more of Brian! I love that man, I really do. He is one of my imaginary uncles now. (Yes, I have an imaginary family. It's mostly composed of Doctor Who characters--Sarah Jane Smith as grandma and Wilf as Grandpa and so on...) He is a grounded, reasonable older character who isn't afraid to ask the Doctor just what might happen to his son and daughter-in-law.
If I had any lingering doubt that the Doctor is experiencing season seven in reverse--Angels Take Manhattan and then Asylum, Mercy, Power, and Dinosaurs---this episode clinches it. Such statements as

Brian: What happen to the other people who travelled with you?
The Doctor: Some left me. Some got left behind. And some... not many, but... some died. Not them, not them, Brian. Never them.

The Doctor: Can I stay here? With you. And Rory, for a bit. Keep an eye on the cubes. However long that takes
.Amy: I thought it would drive you mad.
The Doctor: No. No no. I mean I'll be better at it this time. I... miss you.

Whatever you are, this planet, these people are precious to me. And I will defend them to my last breath.  

But this is one corner of one country on one continent on one planet that's a corner of a galaxy that's a corner of a universe that is forever growing and shrinking and creating and growing and never remaining the same for a single millisecond, and there is so much—so much to see, Amy. Because it goes so fast. I'm not running away from things, I am running to them. Before they flare and fade forever. 
  Not to mention the top quote in his conversation with Amy--by the Tower of London, where I HAVE BEEN! (Sorry, got a bit carried away there.) But he already knows that's going to happen to them--and this is his farewell. Maybe he got the idea from what happened with River--maybe she hinted at it: he has a time machine. Say goodbye to them before it's too late. Go back and have more adventures, because you know how it will end. Let them know how much you love them. Cause these are his parents, after all. Yes, the timing is a bit wibbly, but they love him that much. Amy knows what happens when he travels alone, Rory has the sword if anything happens to River, and  they will always be there for him.
 Amy and Rory. The Last Centurion and The Girl Who Waited. However dark it got, I'd turn around and there they'd be. If it's time to go, remember what you're leaving. Remember the best. My friends have always been the best of me.
---The Wedding of River Song 
I also loved the appearance of Kate Stewart, daughter of the Brig. She's previously appeared in the novel "Scales of Injustice" and the direct-to-video productions "Downtime" and "Daemos Rising." I've read the novel, but the videos are harder to locate. The actress in this episode apparently resembles the original video star.Might have to seek them out, at some point.

Let's see, what else....The Doctor on domestic...wow, he's even more productive than an Ood. And even more trouble. He's just so...hilarious playing his Wii or whatever that is. And I love the idea of Amy as a journalist--shame she can't meet up with Sarah Jane Smith to discuss aliens.



No comments:

Post a Comment