Thursday, September 13, 2012

This Scarlet Cord

It's been a while since I've posted a Booksneeze review, but I thought I should start up again. This Scarlet Cord, a fictional retelling of Rahab's story, is well-written, with historical details and vivid characters.

The most unique element is the concept that Rahab may not have been a prostitute. Instead, the author draws from Canaanite rituals to provide a plausible alternative. While I find this explanation intriguing, I wondered what motivated the author to do so. She mentions it briefly in the discussion questions, but does not go into much detail.

The book does mention some Canaanite rituals and include an attempted rape scene, but the details are kept to a minimum. I would recommend this book for high school and above.

I was given a free copy of this book by the Booksneeze program but was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment